Open Access Subscription or Fee AccessTotal views : 1208
Effect of Fire Retardant Chemicals on Glue Shear Strength of Plywood
Plywood and other composite wood items are susceptible to fire and degradation, however on treatment with fire retardant chemicals glue shear strength of plywood fairly decreases. In the present study, plywood was prepared from Poplar veneers using urea formaldehyde resin and treated with seven different fire retardant compositions. After treatment, the plywood was tested for glue shear strength and for fire retardance (flame penetration, rate of burning and flammability test) as per Indian standards. It was found that plywood treated with all seven compositions passed the fire retardant tests whereas plywood treated with four compositions passed the glue shear strength test.
Fire Retardants, Plywood, Glue Shear Strength.
- Anon. (1980). Specification for fire retardant plywood. IS: 5509. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Anon. (1983). Methods of test for Plywood IS: 1734 (parts 1 to 20). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Anon. (1989). Specification of plywood for general purpose IS: 303. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi Dev I. and kumar S. (1982). Studies on fire retardant cum preservative compositions. J. Timb. Dev. Assoc. (India), 28 (4): 30-33.
- Dev I and Lal R. (1988). Fire performance of treated plywood. J. Timb. Dev. Assoc. (India), 34(3): 1-4.
- Dev I., Kumar S. and Purushotham A. (1963). Comparative studies of fire retardant tests for timber and plywood treated with mono ammonium phosphate. J. Ind. Acad. Wood Sci., 18(1): 17-22.
- Jessome A.P. (1962). Strength properties of wood treated with fire retardants, Rep. 193. Forest products Research Branch. Dept of Forestry, Canada.
- LeVan S.L. (1984). Chemistry of fire retardancy. In: The chemistry of solid wood. Advances in chemistry series 207(R.M. Rowell. Ed). American chemical society, Washington, DC.
- Samani A., Tripathi S. and Lal R. (2007). Performance evaluation of fire retardant compositions for plywood treatment. J. Timb. Dev. Assoc. (India), 53(1 and 2): 10-21
- Wang S.Y. and Yu-Chen Rao (1999). Structure performance of fire retardant treated plywood: Effect of elevated temperature. Holzforschung, 53: 547-552
- Winandy J.E. (1988). Effects of treatment and redrying on mechanical properties of wood. Proceedings, FPRS conf. on wood protection and techniques and the use of treated wood in construction, 1987 October 28-30, Memphis, TN, Forest Prod. Res. Soc.:54-62.
- There are currently no refbacks.