Total views : 293
Subscription or Fee Access
Seed Source Variation in Bauhinia purpurea L.
The variations among the seed sources have been studied in many plant species to determine the best source so as to use it for various breeding purposes. The present study pertains to the seed source variation in Bauhinia purpurea, an important fodder tree species with high nutritional value having medicinal properties such as antioxidant and antibacterial among others. Seeds from 10 different sources in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand were collected and studied for variations in different seed parameters viz. purity, germination per cent and moisture content, and seedling parameters viz., seedling growth and vigour. The seeds from Muzzafarnagar and Mohkampur sources performed best among all the seed sources studied and are recommended for plantation and other purposes in the region.
Bauhinia purpurea, Seed, Variation, Source, Seedling Vigour.
- Benowicz A., Guy R., Carlson M.R., and El-Kassaby Y.A. (2001). Genetic variation among paper birch (Betula papyriferaMARSH.) populations in germination, frost hardiness, gas exchange and growth. Silvae Genet., 50: 7–13.
- Dwivedi A.P. (1993). National level of Neem Seed source trials at Jodhpur. Syst. Ecol. Contrib., 5(7):20-34.
- Gera M., Gera N. and Ginwal H.S. (2000). Seed trait variations in Dalbergia sissoo Roxb. Seed Sci. Technol., 28:467–475
- Geethanjali K., Balasubramanian A. and Paramathma M. (2003). Seed technological studies in Jatropha Curcus. Nation. Workshop Jatropha Other Perennial Oil Seed Species, 5th to 8th Aug. 2003, Bharathiya Agro-Industries Federation of India (BAIF), Pune:31-33.
- George J., Dasthgiri M., Prathiban K. and Judesudhagar (2003). Variability studies in seed and seedling attributes in Mahuva (Madhuca latifolia). Indian Forester, 129 (4):509-516.
- Gupta R.K., Gupta T. and Prakash T. (2012). Genetic variability and correlation study in Acacia catechu seed source in Himachal Pradesh. Range Management and Agroforestry, 33(1):47-52.
- Hathurusingha S., Ashwath N., and Midmore D. (2011). Provenance variations in seed-related characters and oil content of Calophyllum inophyllum L. in northern Australia and Sri Lanka. New Forests, 41(1): 89-94.
- Ibrahim A.M., Fagg C.W. and Harris S.A. (1997). Seed and seedling variation amongst provenances in Faidherbia albida. For. Ecol. Manag., 97:197–205
- Jayasankar S., Babu L.C., Sudhakar K. and Unnithan V.K.G. (1999). Provenance variation in seed and germination characteristics of teak (Tectona grandis L.F.). Seed Sci. Technol., 27:131–139
- Kaushik N., Kumar K., Kumar S., Kaushik N. and Roy S. (2007). Genetic variability and divergence studies in seed traits and oil content of Jatropha (Jatropha curcas L.) accessions. Biomass and Bioenergy, 31(7): 497-502.
- Loha A., Tigabu M., Teketay D., Lundkvist K. and Fries A. (2006). Provenance variation in seed morphometric traits, germination and seedling growth of Cordia africanaLam. New For., 32:81–82
- Mamo N., Mihretu M., Fekadu M., Tigabu M. and Teketay D. (2006). Variation in seed and germination characteristics among Juniperus procera populations in Ethiopia. Forest ecology and management, 225(1): 320-327.
- Mkonda A., Lungu S., Maghembe J.A. and Mafongoya P.L. (2003). Fruit- and seed-germination characteristics of Strychnos cocculoides an indigenous fruit tree from natural populations in Zambia. Agrofor. Syst., 58:25–31.
- Patil V.P., Shivanna H., Surendra P., Manjunath G.O., Krishna A. and Dasar G. V. (2011). Variability studies for seed and seedling traits in Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre. Karnataka J. Agricultural Sciences, 24(2).
- Sahoo D.P., Rout G.R., Das S. and Aparajita S. (2011). Genotypic Variability and Correlation studies in pod and seed characters of Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre in Orissa, India. The J. Plant Science Research, 27(2): 149.
- Sharma, R. (2014). Genetic analysis of cone and seed characters of plus trees of deodar . Indian Forester, 140(2):137-142.
- Sivakumar V., Parthiban K.T., Singh B.G., Gnanambal V.S., Anandalakshmi R., and Geetha S. (2002). Variability in drupe characters and their relationship on seed germination in teak (Tectona grandis L.F.). Silvae Genet, 51:232–237
- Sniezko R.A. and Stewart H.T.L. (1989). Range-wide provenance variation in growth and nutrition of Acacia albida seedlings propagated in Zimbabwe. Forest Ecology and Management, 27(3-4):179-197.
- Stern K. and Roche L. (1974). Genetics of Forest Ecosystem. New York. Springer Verlag, 330 pp.
- Squillace A.E. (1966). Geographic variation in slash pine. Forest Science, 12(1): a0001-z0001.
- Thomsen K.A. and Kjær E.D. (2002). Variation between single tree progenies of Fagus sylvatica in seed traits, and its implications for effective population numbers. Silvae Genet, 51: 183–190.
- Vertucci C.W., Roos E.E. and Crane J. (1994). Theoretical basis of protocols for seed storage III. Optimum moisture contents for pea seeds stored at different temperatures. Annals of Botany, 74(5): 531-540.
- Wani M.S. and Wani A.M. (2013). Genetic variability and association analysis in Madhuca indica GMEL. Indian Forester, 139(8): 692-698.
- Zobel B.J. and Talbert J. (1984). Applied forest tree improvement. John Willey and Sons. Inc., New York.: 75 -116.
- There are currently no refbacks.