Open Access Subscription or Fee AccessTotal views : 45
Effect of Container Orientation on Melt Fraction and Use of PCM in Enhancing Night Temperature in a Prototype Solar Kiln
Effect of container orientation on melt fraction of a commercial Phase Change Material (PCM) filled in commercial High Density Poly-Ethylene (HDPE) containers placed in a prototype solar kiln was studied. The melt fraction was found to be much higher in horizontally placed containers compared to vertically oriented ones. In order to understand the effect of stored thermal energy in PCM, the kiln was first tested in empty condition by closing all doors and vents until kiln temperature fell to 40° C by 22:00 hrs. It was again tested by placing 80 kg of a commercial phase change material filled in 25 HDPE containers placed horizontally inside the kiln. A temperature of 65°C was maintained inside the kiln till 17:00 hrs by suitable venting. It was found that the solar kiln was able to maintain temperatures above 40°C until 03:00 hrs with the help of PCM filled containers placed horizontally which was 6 hrs more than that of without thermal storage.
Solar Kiln, Thermal Storage, PCM, Melt Fraction.
- Agyenim F., Eames P. and Smyth M. (2009). A comparison of heat transfer enhancement in a medium temperature thermal energy storage heat exchanger using fins. Solar Energy, 83(9): 1509-1520.
- Agyenim F., Hewitt N., Eames P. and Smyth M. (2010). A review of materials, heat transfer and phage change problem formulation for latent heat thermal energy storage systems (LHTESS). Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14: 615-628.
- Barletta A., Nobile E., Pinto F., Rossi Di Schio E. and Zanchini E. (2006). Natural convection in a 2D-cavity with vertical isothermal walls: Crossvalidation of two numerical solutions. Inter. J. Thermal Sciences, 45 (9): 917–922.
- Chen C.R. and Sharma A. (2006). Numerical investigation of melt fraction of PCMs in a latent heat storage system, J. Engineering and applied sciences, 194:437-444.
- Domanski R., Wisniewski T. and Rebow M. (1997). Experimental study of natural convection in the melting of PCM in horizontal cylindrical annuli, QIRT96-Eurtherm series 50-Edizioni ETS, Pisa, 1997.
- Eftekhar J., Haji-shikh A. and Lou D.V.S. (1984). Heat transfer enhancement in a paraffin wax thermal storage system. J. solar Energy Engineering, 106: 299-306.
- Garg H.P., Mullick S.C. and Bhargava A.K. (1985). Solar thermal energy storage. Dordrecht Holland: D. Reidel Publishing Co, 1985. 639 pp.
- Gong Z., Devahastin S. and Majumdar A. (1999). Enhanced heat transfer in free convection dominated melting in a rectangular cavity with an isothermal vertical wall. Applied Thermal Engineering, 19(12):1237-1251.
- Hasnain S. (1998). Review on sustainable thermal energy storage technologies, part I: heat storage materials and techniques. Energy Conservation and Management, 39: 1127–1138.
- Horbaniuc B., Dumitascua G. and Popescub A. (1999). A mathematical model for the study of solidification within a longitudinally finned heat pipe latent heat thermal storage system. Energy Conversion and Management, 40:1765-1774.
- Mani A. and Rangarajan S. (1982). Solar Radiation Over India, Allied Publishers Private Ltd, New Delhi, 1982, 500 pp.
- Mccormic P.O. (1980). Solar heating system for kiln drying lumber. Sunworld, 4(6):204–207.
- Omari K.E., Kousksou T. and Guer Y. (2011). Impact of shape of container on natural convections and melting inside enclosures used for passive cooling of electronic devices. Applied Thermal Engineering, 31(14-15):3022-3035.
- Robbins A.M. (1983). Solar lumber kilns: design ideas. New Mexico Energy Research and Development Institute, University of New Mexico, 1983.
- Sari A. and Kaygusuz K. (2002). Thermal and heat transfer characteristics in a latent heat storage system using lauric acid. Energy Conversion and Management, 43:2493-2507.
- Sharma A., Tyagi V.V., Chen C.R. and Budhi D. (2009). Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13:318-345.
- Sharma S.D. and Sagara K. (2005). Latent heat storage materials and systems: a review. Inter. J. Green Energy, 2: 1-56.
- www.pluss.co.in (2014). Why choose pluss range of phase change materials. Available on http://www.pluss.co.in/pdf-files/pcm-products/ Doc418%20TDS%20OM%2055.pdf
- Zhang Y., Liu C., Luo L., Zhang H., Li L. and Zhang M. (2011). Thermal storage technology on solar energy wood drying in China. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 71-78: 1191-1194.
- There are currently no refbacks.